With more than 30 years’ global legal experience, Aedeen manages complex legal issues calmly and at pace.
She has been a courtroom advocate in the United Kingdom and New Zealand, managed major transnational corporate and commercial transactions in Kuwait, and led legal teams in the New Zealand public service.
Born in Ireland, with degrees from Trinity College Dublin and Cambridge University, Aedeen was called to the bar in England in 1990 and worked as a barrister sole until 1996. Moving to Kuwait she worked as an in-house lawyer at Kuwait Petroleum Corporation for 11 years, while raising four children with her kiwi husband John. The family moved to New Zealand in 2008, where Aedeen’s roles included Senior Crown Counsel at the Crown Law Office, General Counsel & Company Secretary at Accident Compensation Corporation, and Acting Treasury Solicitor, before she joined Clifton Chambers in 2021. She has completed Harvard Law School’s Executive Education Leadership in Corporate Counsel program and is a member of the Institute of Directors.
She is experienced in:
- Crown entity powers, functions, immunities, and ministers’ direction-making powers
- Design of model litigant policies and legally robust decision-making processes for public sector agencies
- Government procurement and contract negotiations
- Civil and commercial litigation (County and High Courts in England and Wales, High Court and Court of Appeal in New Zealand)
- Personal injury and Accident Compensation
- Health and safety at work, including PCBU and officer obligations
- Royal Commission and inquiries representation, including coronial inquiries
- Conducting internal investigations and inquiries
- Conflicts of interest and probity
- Official Information and Privacy
- Protected disclosures
- Legal team leadership – including human resources, external counsel management, issues management
- Governance, including board secretariat services
Degrees: LLB / LLM
Admission to High Court: 2010 (NZ), 1990 (UK)
Level 1 Solnet House
70 The Terrace
Mobile: +64 21 079 5233
Areas of practice
Commercial, Dispute resolution, Energy, Governance, Healthcare, Investigations, Personal injury and ACC, Privacy, Procurement, Public law